A collection of videos from Wine Folly that will help you learn more about wine.
Find Your Type of White Wine
Madeline takes us through the 6 popular types of white wine and offers tips on how to find each style and what foods pair well with them. From Pinot Grigio to Gewürztraminer, and even orange wines, there is something for everyone in the diverse world of white wine.
6 Popular Types of White Wine
- Pinot Grigio - Also known as Pinot Gris, it’s the prototypical crisp dry white wine, but there’s more to this grape than meets the eye.
- Sauvignon Blanc - Famed for its green aromatics of cut grass, gooseberry and even bell pepper, you’ll find Sauvignon Blanc pairs excellently with southeast Asian cuisine.
- Riesling - A great choice to match with Indian cuisine and Spicy Thai, Riesling exudes rich peach and apricot aromatics and ranges from bone dry to very sweet.
- Gewürztraminer - The most floral popular white wine with aromas of roses and potpourri. Surprisingly, many of these wines are bone dry!
- Chardonnay - The fullest body of the white wines, not because of the grape but because of the winemaking method. Aging in oak adds richness to these wines.
- Orange wine - a newly popular but ancient white winemaking method that allows white grapes to ferment like red wines. These wines have rich color and flavor from the skins.
Dr. Konstantin Frank Winery
Finger Lakes | United States
A Georgian grape variety that dates back to 3000 B.C. and the oldest known grape variety in the world.
The wine has a very good palate weight with a textural mouthfeel and lengthy finish. A great alternative for Sauvignon Blanc drinkers.
2021 Monograph Moschofilero
Peloponnese | Greece
It shares “mountainous” acidity which offers multiple tastes.
2021 Herdade do Esporão Reserva White
Alentejo | Portugal
A classic wine obtained exclusively from our organic grapes. The diversity of Herdade do Esporão, together with the different characteristics of the grape varieties, the soils, the maturity of the vines and the character of those who make this wine consistently over the years, results in a rich, intense but always harmonious wine.
Elegant and harmonious with balanced fruit and spices presence. Intense and persistent finish.
King Estate Winery
2021 Willamette Valley Pinot Gris
Willamette Valley | Oregon
Early in our 30-year history, King Estate established a reputation for
Willamette Valley Pinot Gris that continues to this day. The Willamette
Valley – and our cool climate, high elevation site in particular – is ideally
suited for growing Pinot Gris grapes. Made with the finest fruit from our own estate and our like-minded vineyard partners, this wine reflects a
commitment to sustainable farming practices in each bottle.
The wine starts off nice and round on the palate with ripe fruit flavors of Asian pear, key lime and nectarine accompanied by jasmine and damp slate. The entrance is followed by bright acidity that carries through to a fresh, balanced and lingering finish.
Tiki Wine & Vineyards
2022 Single Vineyard North Canterbury Sauvignon Blanc
Waipara Valley | New Zealand
The palate highlights classic varietal notes of capsicum and lemongrass. A wine with a lovely balanced finish, range of flavour and length.
Marjan Simčič Domaine
2020 Ribolla Cru Selection
Brda | Slovenia
Its softness and warmth are pleasantly combined with the chewy structure of a red wine. Long-lasting aftertaste. Mineral and very drinkable wine.